A Message From Dr. Sheila Phelan
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website. This website was designed with the hopes of making it easy for new patients to get to know our practice and current patients to find the information they may need. My past profile focused primarily on my educational background and publications. I’m rewriting it now because, honestly, in all my time in practice, I’ve only had a handful of patients be interested in these items.
Here is what I’d like you to know about me: I care. Because I know what we do in our office is changing lives. Perhaps not the same way as a visit to, say, a cardiologist, but we are changing lives nonetheless. As one of the few remaining privately owned practices, I take a lot of pride in the work we do here because it’s all overseen by me. Is it a lot to handle? Sometimes. Especially with a 1-and-a-half-year-old at home and a post-Covid world to navigate – but we have a great team here and each member has been specifically chosen for the part they play in making the patient experience a positive one.
It takes a lot of courage to change your life. For years (and years) I went to school and when I got out, I realized how different life is…how unprotected we all are. My goal as a doctor is to give you and your family a safe space to come where, hopefully, you trust us enough to allow us to change your life. My life has changed because of my patients, and I feel it’s my time to give that back to my community.
- Bachelors of Science, The University of Michigan
- Concentration in Neuroscience and International Studies
- Certificate in Biomedical Science, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Masters in Orthodontics, The University of Iowa
- 2 year expedited program, thesis mandatory, with Board Certification
Research, Thesis and Publications
- Biomechanical properties of tooth abrasion of topical fluoride application prior to orthodontic bracket placement
- Outcomes of varying treatment modalities for correction of Class II malocclusions
- European Journal of Orthodontics, Surgical versus non-surgical correction of Class II malocclusions
Dr. Phelan is Involved in the Following Organizations
- Member, American Dental Association
- Member, American Association of Orthodontists
- Diplomat, American Board of Orthodontics
- Member, Orthodontic College of Diplomats
- Distinguished Toastmasters International Member and former Area Governor
- Member, Ohio Dental Association
- Editor and Member, Toledo Dental Society
Dr. Phelan is happy to be the proud owner of a small business, especially here in the Toledo area where supporting local is embraced wholeheartedly. She does her part by collaborating with local businesses whenever possible. Our tech support, accounting services, advertising campaign and multiple office vendors are all Toledo-based companies.