What is orthodontics?
Who is an orthodontist?
What's the best age to visit the orthodontist?
How long can I expect treatment time to be?
Do braces hurt?
How can I take care of my teeth if I'm wearing braces or a retainer?
- Always remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
- If you take out your retainer to eat, make sure you brush your teeth, floss, and remember to keep it safe in its container so that it does not get lost or broken.
- Keep your retainer clean, too, by brushing it gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You may also soak it in denture cleaner as instructed by your orthodontist. Do not put your retainer in boiling water or in the dishwasher.
- During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar, which increases the amount of bacteria that grows in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities.
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy, etc.).
- Be sure to schedule your routine checkups with your family dentist. It is recommended that you continue to visit the dentist every six months.
Do I still need dental checkups every six months?
Will treatment interfere with my school activities like sports, playing an instrument, or singing?
Dr. Phelan is happy to be the proud owner of a small business, especially here in the Toledo area where supporting local is embraced wholeheartedly. She does her part by collaborating with local businesses whenever possible. Our tech support, accounting services, advertising campaign and multiple office vendors are all Toledo-based companies.